Friday, April 10, 2009

So true...

Online dating is a joke. Seriously.
I'm not talking about free sites, where the freaks of the online world reside, I mean legit dating sites...namely eharmony.
I never would have thought of joining an online site, but after much encouragement from colleagues at work, I decided to give it a shot.

I am sure that hundreds of people daily have success on this site, and I know precisely who those hundreds are. They are the same girls who get hit on at the bar, at Starbucks, in line at Rite Aid. They are not me.
They are the girls with names like Stacy, Keri, Jenny...they are not girls named Magena.
They are the girls who have men look at them.

Now it should be said, I have been on this site for almost three months. I understand things like this can take time...and I should give it more time. However I have seen a pattern that has developed and I don't really see how any of the men on this site are any different than the men at Target or the library, or at the bar.

One of the most disheartening parts of the process is when someone wants to "close" you as a match. They have to give you a reason, and there are 20 listed options. A few examples
  • I feel the physical distance between us is too great
  • I'm not ready for the next step
  • Based on statements in their profile, I am no longer interested in this match
  • Other

98% of the time I am closed out for the last two reasons.

What statement in my profile? I have no children, no ex-husband, no criminal record...I guess you don't like girls who travel and love music. I must assume "other" means fat and not pretty.

This has not been a fun experience for me. The site is not cheap(in my opinion)and I would rather use the money for almost anything else.

So now I'm back at the beginning, square one. Again.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's the no criminal record.

    But in all seriousness that sucks. I wish I could make life fair or at least easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Sounds like they are sending a lot of superficial bullshit guys your way. I hope they send someone REAL your way.

    ReplyDelete