Thursday, April 2, 2009

Only Maris likes Mahler

Yeah, that's right, I'm quoting Frasier Crane in my blog. I'm sorry to say, but it's true.
I'm sure if you are reading this, you know me, so you know I have a love and affection for classical music.
A few months ago, the Seattle Symphony performed a piece called the "Symphony of a thousand" by Mahler(that's not the real title, but what's it's known as)...and every night on 98.1 KING FM they played a commercial saying what a masterpiece it is and how it's not to be missed. I couldn't help but remember what Frasier said(see title of blog), and I chose to not buy tickets.
Tonight on said radio station, they played a recording of that performance, and I thought to myself..."Self! Give it a shot! You're 30 now, maybe you might like it"
So I did. I tried for the better part of an hour, and I really wish I could get that time back.
If I were to compare that piece of music to a piece of art...it would be a large white canvas with random colors splattered wherever. No rhyme or reason. This piece of music was distracting! Imagine, music being distracting!
I could go on and on giving examples, but I won't.
This isn't a blog about music :)
There's plenty of music I don't like (Rachmaniov piano concertos), but this is a whole new category....music I truly do not understand.
It's like a comedian you don't understand...confusing, huh?
Don't try to listen to this piece to try to understand this blog, just take my word for it!
Please! Don't do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment