Friday, June 12, 2009

Metamorphosis

I am turning into my grandmother. Not my mother. I'm skipping a generation and turning into the nonagenarian matriarch of the family.

I have been obsessed with asparagus recently and if you eat the stuff, you know you have to trim the bottom of the stalk. I take the 3" tough pieces and put them in a freezer bag and place them in the freezer next to the celery stalks that (in my mind)will one day be reunited in a pot pie or a soup. My mother doesn't do this, but grandma does.
I make lists on the back of envelopes, just like grandma. Why? It's a whole piece of blank paper(sure it has the folds and seams). This is the grandma trait I have done the longest.
I purposely use the term "Balls!" as an expletive as often as possible. I must say it's 3 times funnier to hear a little lady with pin curls use it, but I'm starting early.
I take great pride in handwashing bras and only wish I knew washing day songs to sing(or whistle)while I did the job.
I think it's important to have cookies in the cookie jar(but they don't always last so long when I'm around)
By far the niftiest trick I have learned from grandma is the ability to fold plastic bags(from the drug or grocery store). I know it sounds silly to fold plastic bags, but they take up less room.

Sometimes the old lady drives me nuts.
I need to realize she's rubbing off on me...in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment